Dutcher Lodge No. 193 / Douglas
Dutcher Lodge No. 193
Masons from Douglas, Fennville, and Saugatauk chartered Dutcher Lodge No. 193 on January 19, 1867. From 1867 to 1870 they held meetings in a building owned by Worshipful Master Thomas Dutcher. In 1875, the western portion of this building was constructed on land cleared of a cemetery. Lodge members used the second floor, leaving the first floor available for government and civic meeting. The building was doubled in size with the construction of the eastern half in 1902. That section became known as the village hall. Douglas's fire truck was parked in the lower level until 1969. Dutcher Lodge is a rare example of a Masonic lodge still in use a century after its construction.
Douglas began as two communities separated by present day Center Street. Jonathan Wade platted Dudleyville, named for his brother Dudley Wade, on the south side of "Centre" in 1860. In 1861, William F. Dutcher platted the town of Douglas on the north side of Centre. Dutcher named it for his hometown on the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea. The original plat consisted of the area bounded by Union, Chestnut, Water and
Erected 1997 by Michigan Historial Center, Michigan Department of State. (Marker Number L1239.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission, and the Time Capsules series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1839.
Location. 42° 38.62′ N, 86° 12.171′ W. Marker is in Douglas, Michigan, in Allegan County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Street and Union Street, on the left when traveling east on Center Street. Marker is clearly visible from Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 86 Center Street, Douglas MI 49406, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Asa Goodrich House (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Historic Douglas (within shouting distance of this marker); Douglas Union School (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old School House (about 300 feet Mt. Baldhead (about 400 feet away); Sarah M. Kirby House (approx. ¼ mile away); New Singapore (approx. 0.3 miles away); Singapore, Michigan (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Douglas.
More about this marker. This marker covers two different subjects. Dutcher Lodge No. 193 one one side and Douglas, Michigan, on the other. The marker is registered and numbered by the State of Michigan as one marker.
There is a marker on the ground just in front of the Dutcher Lodge No. 193 side that states a time capsule was buried there in 2006.
Also see . . . Douglas Michigan at Wikipedia. (Submitted on August 1, 2011, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2011, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. This page has been viewed 702 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 1, 2011, by Dave Zollinger of Goshen, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.