The village of Kearney Junction was platted in the summer of 1871 and the junction of the two railroads was completed on September 18, 1872. In the fall of 1873, a bridge was completed across the Platte, connecting Kearney with the rapidly developing areas to the south. The City of Kearney was incorporated on December 3, 1873 and became the county seat of Buffalo County in 1874.
Kearney developed rapidly as an industrial, agricultural, and cultural center. The railroads and the promise of industry offered by the new Kearney Canal, which was completed in 1886, brought many investors from the East, and by 1892 the population reached the 10,000 mark. This golden era launched the Kearney Cotton Mill, the famed 1733 Ranch, a splendid five-story opera
Erected by Kearney Centennial Commission, Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 153.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list.
Location. 40° 41.12′ N, 99° 5.418′ W. Marker is in Kearney, Nebraska, in Buffalo County. Marker is at the intersection of West 11th Street and 6th Avenue, on the right when traveling west on West 11th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kearney NE 68845, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shelton Union Pacific Depot (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baldwin Engine 481 (about 600 feet away); Loup River Freighter Hotel (about 600 feet away); German Baptist Church of the Brethren (about 700 feet away); Boyd House (about 700 feet away); Kearney (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of Bauer Drug (approx. 0.7 miles away); Old Oregon Trail (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kearney.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 596 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 2, 2011, by Charles T. Harrell of Woodford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.