Bridgeport in Harrison County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
John Powers' Fort
Erected 1981 by West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1771.
Location. 39° 16.904′ N, 80° 15.472′ W. Marker is in Bridgeport, West Virginia, in Harrison County. Marker is on West Main Street (U.S. 50), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 409 West Main Street, Bridgeport WV 26330, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bridgeport (approx. 0.2 miles away); Benedum Civic Center (approx. ¼ mile away); Simpson Creek Covered Bridge (approx. 2.2 miles away); Combat Wounded (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Jackson Cemetery (approx. 3½ miles away); Nutter's Fort (approx. 3.8 miles away); Towers School (approx. 4.3 miles away); Northwest Academy (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bridgeport.
Also see . . .
1. Short Biography of Benjamin Wilson. (Submitted on January 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Short Biography of Joseph Johnson. (Submitted on January 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,827 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 5, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.