Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Santa Fe in Santa Fe County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Lamy Building

 
 
Lamy Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, July 23, 2011
1. Lamy Building Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1878, the Lamy Building was originally part of St. Michael's College. The lower two floors, which remain today, were constructed of adobe. The third floor, with its mansard roof and domed cupola, was framed in wood, probably to reduce the weight load. Local citizens contributed lumber for the project, and in addition 735 sheep, 2 goats, 2 oxen and 1 heifer to the building fund. The original stucco was a cementitious scored application suggesting stone masonry construction. The current paint colors are based on the building's original Victorian Era paint color palette.

Fire destroyed the third floor on November 30, 1926. Repairs were made and the building was reoccupied after the holidays. The third floor was never rebuilt and the building was left with a flat roof.

The building was remodeled in the 1950's in the Territorial Revival style that had become an accepted regional style for public building at that time. The brick coping and espadaña (bell mount) were added as part of the 1950's remodeling. St. Michael's High School moved to its current location on Siringo Road and the Lamy Building was converted to a
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
State Government office building.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is November 30, 1926.
 
Location. 35° 41.005′ N, 105° 56.279′ W. Marker is in Santa Fe, New Mexico, in Santa Fe County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Santa Fe Trail and East De Vargas Street, on the right when traveling north on Old Santa Fe Trail. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 413 Old Santa Fe Trail, Santa Fe NM 87501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to the Pink Adobe (a few steps from this marker); San Miguel Church (a few steps from this marker); Barrio de Analco (within shouting distance of this marker); The "Oldest" House (within shouting distance of this marker); A Long Haul (within shouting distance of this marker); Life on the Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Santa Fe Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Mother Magdalen and the Sisters of Loretto (1852-1968) (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Fe.
 
Regarding Lamy Building. The building is named for Jean Baptiste Lamy, (1814-88) Roman Catholic archbishop in the United States Southwest. Lamy was born in France and was ordained in 1838, after doing missionary work
Lamy Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, July 23, 2011
2. Lamy Building Marker
in Southern Ohio. Was sent to New Mexico in 1850 as vicar apostolic. In 1852 he was responsible for the establishment of the first school for teaching English in Santa Fe, and he brought nuns and priests from France and the eastern states to establish other schools. Created bishop in 1853 and archbishop in 1875, he worked tirelessly until 1885 in his vast region, which included, in addition to present-day New Mexico, most of Arizona and parts of Utah.

text from: Building Services Division, State of New Mexico
 
Lamy Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, July 23, 2011
3. Lamy Building Marker
Lamy Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, July 23, 2011
4. Lamy Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,447 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 4, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=45594

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024