Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Muscogee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church

 
 
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
1. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  This one-story Victorian Gothic structure dates back to 1870. The cornerstone of the church indicates that the building was constructed in 1870 with the basement added in 1890. This suggests that the original wooden church was raised, a basement added, and then the entire structure bricked-in. St. John AME Church was originally named St. John Chapel and its congregation descended from that of St. James AME church in Columbus. The congregation was forced to move to a new site when the historic structure was severely damaged by a tornado. The Faith Tabernacle Full Gospel Outreach Church bought the St. John AME Church in 1993, committed to its restoration.
 
Erected 1994 by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Faith Tabernacle Full Gospel Outreach Church.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
 
Location. 32° 28.491′ N, 84° 59.16′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Columbus, Georgia, in Muscogee County. Marker is at the intersection of 5th Avenue and Linwood Boulevard, on the right when traveling north on 5th Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1516 5th Avenue, Columbus GA 31901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Winona Cargile Alexander: A Founder of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Incorporated (a few steps from this marker); This Gun (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Dead (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbus' First Jewish Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Last Land Battle in War of 1861-65 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tyler Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bullard-Hart-Sampson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Linwood Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbus.
 
Regarding Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church. Faith Tabernacle Full Outreach Gospel Church did restore the building, as noted on the marker. After an arson fire on April 1, 1998 Faith Tabernacle moved to a different location and changed its name to Faith Worship Center. The church building was again restored after the fire. It was been used by different ministries, but today the building is for rent.
 
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
2. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
3. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Looking north on 5th Avenue
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
4. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Looking south on 5th Avenue toward downtown Columbus
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
5. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstones image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
6. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstones
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
7. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstone
The early cornerstone, stating the building was erected by the Rev. John G. Mitchell and the basement was erected by Rev. M. Smith in 1890.
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
8. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstone
The left-most cornerstone, stating that the building was remodeled in 1908 (possibly when it was bricked in) by the Pastor, Rev. J. T. Hall, D.D.
Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstone image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, April 30, 2011
9. Saint John African Methodist Episcopal Church Cornerstone
The last cornerstone, mentioning the tornado damage which left the building standing vacant without windows, belltower steeple, or roof. In 1992 the building was purchased and renovated by Larry U. Bussey, a Columbus property investor.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 901 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on August 4, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=45599

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 23, 2024