Falling Waters in Berkeley County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Battle of Falling Waters
This first Civil War engagement in the Shenandoah Valley was fought here on the farm of William Rush Porterfield. Porterfield’s wife and their four children fled to the house of a nearby relative. The Fifth Virginia Infantry occupied the house and farm buildings just as the Union troops came into view; Confederate sharpshooters opened fire from the house and barn. Colonel Kenton Harper, Fifth Virginia Infantry, reported that the house and farm buildings were “key to my position.” The Federal artillery quickly replied, damaging the house and setting fire
After Jackson’s men withdrew, Union troops immediately established a makeshift hospital in the house to care for the wounded of both sides. Although the engagement lasted for less than an hour, it devastated the property. Porterfield, a Union supporter, remained on his land and rebuilt after the war.
[ Sidebar : ]
David Crocket (as he spelled his surname), the grandfather of Davy Crockett of Alamo fame, constructed the oldest section of the house of logs about 1763. The Crockets lived here less than five years before selling the property and moving to Tennessee. A description of the house written in 1941 for a Work Projects Administration travel guide described the damage that was still visible at that time.
Erected by West Virginia Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 39° 32.733′ N, 77° 54.228′ W. Marker is in Falling Waters, West Virginia, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Williamsport Pike (U.S. 11) 0.2 miles north of West Virginia Route 901, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located across the street Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Falling Waters WV 25419, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Battle of Falling Waters (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Falling Waters (approx. ¼ mile away); General “Stonewall” Jackson (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Falling Waters (approx. 0.7 miles away); Stumpy’s Hollow (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Falling Waters (approx. 0.8 miles away); Battles of Falling Waters (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hammond House (approx. 2.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Falling Waters.
More about this marker. Several pictures appear on the marker. These include: Portraits of Gen. Robert Patterson and Col. Thomas J. Jackson, courtesy of the Library of Congress; A picture from Harper’s Weekly July 27, 1861, entitled “Skirmish at Hoke’s Run” showing Confederates firing from the Porterfield barn; a photo of the Crockett-Porterfield House, Courtesy of the Berkley County Historical Society; and a portrait of William Rush Porterfield, Courtesy of R.E. Porterfield.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. View series of markers relating to the Battle of Falling Waters.
Also see . . . Battle of Falling Waters - July 2, 1861. Falling Waters Battlefield Association website. (Submitted on August 4, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 4, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,811 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 4, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.