Near Fayetteville in Talladega County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
To The Memory of General Jackson
Erected 1933 by Fort Williams Memorial Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War of 1812.
Location. 33° 9.216′ N, 86° 27.554′ W. Marker is near Fayetteville, Alabama, in Talladega County. Marker is on Gen. Jackson Memorial Dr south of Mallory Cir, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 256 Gen Jackson Memorial Dr, Sylacauga AL 35151, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fayetteville (approx. 3.2 miles away); History of Wilsonville, Alabama (approx. 5.9 miles away); Wilsonville Cemetery (approx. 5.9 miles away); Confederate Forts (approx. 6.8 miles away); Machine Shop Smoke Stack (approx. 8.3 miles away); Steam Engine (approx. 8.3 miles away); Calera & Shelby Railroad (approx. 8.4 miles away); Columbiana, Alabama (approx. 8.7 miles away).
More about this marker. Fort Williams Cemetery is located about 14 miles west of downtown Sylacauga, Alabama near the entrance to Waters Edge Subdivision on the Coosa River. In 1814 Gen. Andrew Jackson ordered the building of Fort Williams to be used as a supply depot and staging area prior to the Battle of Horseshoe Bend. After the battle the fort became the final resting place of those who died in that battle. The fort served as a frontier fort thereafter up until the Creek Indian Removal during the 1830's. The fort itself was used as one of the collection points on the Trail of Tears.
Also see . . . Alabama Trails - War of 1812, Fort Williams. (Submitted on August 6, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 980 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 6, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.