Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Alexander City in Tallapoosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Needmore 1873

 
 
Needmore 1873 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By TRCP Alliance, June 16, 2011
1. Needmore 1873 Marker
Inscription.  
Freedmen moving to the new market town of Youngsville in the early 1870s occupied homes along a street they called Needmore Street. They relocated their house of worship from near the present junction of South Central Avenue and Cherokee Road to the Needmore neighborhood where Methodists and Baptists shared a building.

Missionaries from the Methodist Episcopal Church formed a congregation in Alexander City and, in 1873, Bishop Gilbert Haven appointed Rev. George Scott pastor of the new church. In 1876 the church became a charter member of the Central Alabama Conference.

In 1895 the Bethel Baptist Church congregation constructed a separate house of worship. Great Bethel Baptist Church attained distinction in the 20th century for its religious and social outreach programs under the leadership of its pastor of 45 years, Rev. Milton Nunn.
 
Erected 2002 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
 
Location. 32° 57.105′ N, 85° 56.828′ W. Marker is in Alexander City, Alabama, in Tallapoosa County. Marker is on Jefferson Street (Alabama Route 63) just south of A Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 692 Jefferson Street, Alexander City AL 35010, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church 1872 (approx. half a mile away); The Savannah And Memphis Railroad 1874 (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Court Square (approx. 0.7 miles away); Alexander City: A Textile Community (approx. 0.7 miles away); The First Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Youngsville (approx. 0.9 miles away); Fort Okfuskee (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexander City.
 
Needmore 1873 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By TRCP Alliance, June 16, 2011
2. Needmore 1873 Marker
Great Bethel Baptist Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By TRCP Alliance, June 16, 2011
3. Great Bethel Baptist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 6, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 834 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=45740

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024