Vernon in Jennings County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Vernon Historic District
Vernon platted 1815. Jennings County formed by Indiana General Assembly 1817; Vernon named county seat 1817. Madison-Indianapolis Railroad reached Vernon 1839; masonry arch, elevating track over Pike Street, remains. Vernon still operates under its amended 1851 incorporation by General Assembly authorizing a mayor and local elections in March.
Vernon listed as Historic District in National Register of Historic Places 1976. Many structures built before 1900, some from 1820s through 1840s. Fire October 13, 1859 destroyed homes and businesses on Pike Street opposite Court House Square. Federal, Greek Revival, Italianate, and composite architectural styles blend into a historic mosaic.
Erected 2003 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Town of Vernon, Jennings County Parks & Recreation, and Jennings County Tourism Bureau. (Marker Number 40.2003.1.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Indiana Historical Bureau Markers series list. A significant historical month for this entry is October 1843.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24 North Pike Street, Vernon IN 47282, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Morgan's Raid (a few steps from this marker); New Survey Markers Set (a few steps from this marker); Jonathan Jennings (within shouting distance of this marker); Jennings County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Morgan is Forced to Turn Back, (approx. 0.4 miles away); Muscatatuck Park (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hannah Milhous Nixon (approx. 6.4 miles away); Kellar Grist Mill (approx. 6.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vernon.
Also see . . .
1. Vernon Historic District. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on December 29, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
2. Photos of Dedication (Courtesy - Indiana Historical Bureau):. (Submitted on January 22, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 455 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 8, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.