Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Florence in Lauderdale County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Church Spring and School

(Circa 1840-1895)

 
 
Church Spring and School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, April 13, 2011
1. Church Spring and School Marker
Inscription.  About 1849, African-Americans began holding religious services in a brick cow shed overlooking the town spring near the site. It was purchased in 1857 by the local Methodists for this congregation, with Robin Lightfoot, a slave as its pastor. In 1879, it was organized as St. Paul's African-American Methodist Episcopal Church. Children of slaves and freemen were taught here in early years. In 1866, the Freedmen's Bureau established a school for the children of African-Americans, probably at this location.
 
Erected by Florence Historical Board Florence Alabama.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: African Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
 
Location. 34° 47.735′ N, 87° 40.439′ W. Marker is in Florence, Alabama, in Lauderdale County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Spring Street and S. Pine Street on W. Spring Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Florence AL 35630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church Spring Church and School (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rolling Stones in the Shoals in 1969 (about 400 feet away,
Church Spring and School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, April 13, 2011
2. Church Spring and School Marker
Backside facing Pine St.
Click or scan to see
this page online
measured in a direct line); John McKinley Associate Justice, U.S. Supreme Court (about 500 feet away); The American Legion (about 800 feet away); Lauderdale County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Hicks Boulevard (approx. Ό mile away); St. Mark Baptist Church (approx. Ό mile away); Florence Little League Baseball (1951) (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Florence.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 8, 2011, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 797 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 8, 2011, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=45812

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Sep. 30, 2022