Dillsboro in Dearborn County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The town was laid out by Mathias Whetstone in 1830, and named for General James Dill, soldier in the War of 1812, first county recorder, a member of the Indiana 1816 Constitutional Convention, military associate and friend of Generals William Henry Harrison, Arthur St. Clair and Captain Samuel C. Vance.
Erected 1976 by Dearborn County Bicentennial Committee.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #09 William Henry Harrison series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1830.
Location. 39° 1.162′ N, 85° 3.662′ W. Marker is in Dillsboro, Indiana, in Dearborn County. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street and Bank Street, on the left when traveling north on Front Street. Located at the Town Office and Fire Station. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dillsboro IN 47018, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Voice of the Community (here, next to this marker); Moore's Hill United Methodist Church Moore Hall (approx. 6.7 miles away); Moores Hill College (approx. 6.7 miles away); Milan Miracle (approx. 8.1 miles away); Whitlatch Clinic (approx. 8.1 miles away); Lewis Hurlbert Sr. House (approx. 8.8 miles away); Birthplace of First White Child (approx. 8.9 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 9, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 688 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 9, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.