Chilhowie in Smyth County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by State C. and D. Comm. Sycamore No. 117-K Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1754.
Location. 36° 47.834′ N, 81° 41.069′ W. Marker is in Chilhowie, Virginia, in Smyth County. Marker is on West Lee Highway (U.S. 11) just west of Whitetop Road (Virginia Route 107), on the right when traveling south. This marker is a couple of blocks from Interstate 81 Exit 35. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 276 W Lee Hwy, Chilhowie VA 24319, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Farthest West, 1750 (here, next to this marker); Chilhowie (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Chilhowie (approx. 0.2 miles away); Transportation Through the Ages (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sulphur Springs Church and Campground (approx. ¾ mile away); William Campbell’s Grave (approx. 2½ miles away); Fort Kilmachronan (approx. 2.9 miles away); Seven Mile Ford (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chilhowie.
Also see . . . Smyth County Frontier Trail. “Taverns were once located roughly 17 miles apart on the Wilderness Road, about the same as a modern-day Appalachian Trail through hiker’s daily trek. Some ruins of one tavern, the Town House, still remain here in present day Chilhowie, formerly called the Town House community. These ruins can be viewed from adjacent Beattie Cemetery along Hwy. 107.” (Submitted on August 10, 2011.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 611 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 10, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the ruins of Town House off Route 107. • Can you help?