Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lincoln in Lincoln County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Col. Dudley's Camping Place

 
 
Col. Dudley's Camping Place Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, July 24, 2011
1. Col. Dudley's Camping Place Marker
Inscription.  Encamped a few yards away on July 19, 1878 were U.S. troops from Fort Stanton. Allegedly brought to protect lives and property, their presence quickened Murphy party into firing McSween's residence and pillaging the Tunstall store.
 
Erected 1950 by Old Lincoln County Memorial Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1854.
 
Location. 33° 29.518′ N, 105° 23.078′ W. Marker is in Lincoln, New Mexico, in Lincoln County. Marker is on U.S. 380 at milepost 97.9, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lincoln NM 88338, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Montano Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Earliest Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); San Juan Church (about 400 feet away); Torreon (about 500 feet away); Site of Squire Wilson's Home (about 500 feet away); Tunstall-McSween Store (about 800 feet
Col. Dudley's Camping Place Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, July 24, 2011
2. Col. Dudley's Camping Place Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); Old Dolan Home (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the McSween Home (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lincoln.
 
Also see . . .  Legends of America. A walk down Lincoln, New Mexico's Main Street is a step back into the Wild Wild West. (Submitted on August 11, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 714 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 11, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=45989

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Feb. 5, 2023