Gold Hill in Storey County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Here was the Heart
of the City
A large building housed the
post office & stock exchange
dry goods & drug stores
meat & grocery markets
French modiste hair dresser
barber shop & doctors offices
Maynard Station Tavern
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 39° 17.584′ N, 119° 39.419′ W. Marker is in Gold Hill, Nevada, in Storey County. Marker is on North Main Street (State Highway 342). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1491 North Main Street, Virginia City NV 89440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Assay Office and Justice Court (a few steps from this marker); Silver Star Lodge # 5 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Yellow Jacket Mine Fire (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gold Hill Millionaires (about 400 feet away); Liberty Engine Co. No.1Gold Hill Hotel (about 400 feet away); I.O.O.F. Monument (about 400 feet away); Gold Hill Brewery (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gold Hill.
More about this marker. Also located on the Maynard Station are two 'markers' entitled "If This House Could Talk."
1. If This House Could Talk - Marker #1 (See Photo #4)
As is the case with photographs of the town, contemporary information on Gold Hill for the years 1860 and 1861, the same years most of the building of Gold Hill and Virginia City was carried out, is non-existent or yet to be discovered.
The Maynard Block’s origins are obscure. It has been determined that the southern-most section was built first as a one-story structure to serve as a bank. The northern section was added in late 1863. In 1872, and a second story was added to the original one-story section, completing the building as a total two-story block. The mortar from the original roof was assayed at $27.50.
The building was named after its builder and owner, distinguished citizen and pioneer banker, Henry G. Maynard. Maynard was first an agent of Wells Fargo & Company and Express office, Gold Hill, before forming
Over the years, the building had many different tenants, a hardware store, grocery store, hotel and restaurant, saloons, offices for doctors and lawyers, but perhaps it was best known as an informal stock exchange for the many brokers who had their offices there. The area in front was reputed to be called “two-bit flat” where crowds gathered to watch quotations and buy and sell stocks. It was here in 1865, preceded by booming of the cannon, shrieking of the whistles and ringing of bells, that Maynard introduced Union General William S. Rosecrans to the people of Gold Hill.
In its final years, the building housed a grocery store and the post office. It was torn down in 1940. Some remains of the building are visible behind today’s Maynard Station.
— Submitted August 22, 2011.
2. If This House Could Talk - Marker #2 (See Photo #5)
The History of Nevada
Early in 1862, H.G. Maynard opened a bank at Gold Hill, Nevada. He had previously been the agent of Wells Fargo & Co. express at Gold Hill. In the latter
A short time after the return of Maynard to Gold Hill the bank of H.H. Flagg failed. Trustees were appointed and they succeeded in paying the creditors about sixty cents on the dollar.
— Submitted August 22, 2011.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 21, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 692 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 13, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.