Woodville Academy and Woodville College
Organized in 1849 in the new county courthouse (formerly at this site), the Woodville Academy offered advanced courses of study. Some of the subjects were astronomy, orthography (spelling), surveying and logic. In 1850 the school moved (1,500 ft. SE); it was sold, 1856.
That same year the town of Woodville and Woodville College were chartered. The school-- in the old Masonic Lodge (1,200 ft. W)--closed after a few years.
Among some 40 higher schools chartered in Texas 1845-1861, these two reflect a state-wide surge of interest in education.
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11462.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1849.
Location. 30° 46.512′ N, 94° 24.93′ W. Marker is in Woodville, Texas, in Tyler County. Marker is on West Bluff Street (U.S. 190) west of North Magnolia Street (U.S. 69), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 West Bluff Street, Woodville TX 75979, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 14, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 518 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 14, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.