Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Woodville in Tyler County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Home of James Edward Wheat

 
 
Home of James Edward Wheat Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, July 23, 2011
1. Home of James Edward Wheat Marker
Inscription.  

Located on a 2,952.2-acre tract of Republic of Texas land awarded in 1838 to Dr. Josiah Wheat, an early settler of Tyler County, and donor in 1847 of 200 acres for county seat, soon named Woodville.

Site for this residence was acquired by William G. McDaniel, who built earliest part of house (two rooms downstairs and two upstairs) in 1848. Most memorable feature was gallery over the front porch. On this gallery jurors used to sleep when housing was scarce during sessions of the county court.

The several owners after 1881 included T.C. Mann, father of 20th century U.S. Diplomat Thomas Mann.

In 1918 the house was purchased by James Edward Wheat (Jan.6, 1887 - Oct. 10,1968), son of Light Nowlin and Martha Bryant Wheat, and great-grandson of Dr. Josiah Wheat. James Edward Wheat, an attorney, was president of the Woodville School Board (1920-49), first mayor of the city after its incorporation in 1929, and member of Texas Centennial Commission, 1936. He served on Texas State Prison Board, 1942-48; was secretary (1950) and chairman (1951-52) of the Executive Committee, State Democratic Party; also first chairman of Texas State Historical

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Survey Committee (1953-59). He enlarged and improved this house on his ancestral land.
 
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11460.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1838.
 
Location. 30° 46.458′ N, 94° 24.948′ W. Marker is in Woodville, Texas, in Tyler County. Marker is at the intersection of West Wheat Street and South Charlton Street, on the right when traveling east on West Wheat Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 West Wheat Street, Woodville TX 75979, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tyler County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Woodville Academy and Woodville College (about 300 feet away); Lt. Col. Phillip A. Work (about 300 feet away); Tyler County (about 400 feet away); Texas Statesman Allan Shivers (approx. ¼ mile away); John Henry Kirby and Education in Woodville (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Henry T. Scott School (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Rev. Acton Young (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodville.
 
Home of James Edward Wheat Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, July 23, 2011
2. Home of James Edward Wheat Marker
Marker is to the right of the house.
Home of James Edward Wheat image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Steve Gustafson, July 23, 2011
3. Home of James Edward Wheat
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 14, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 805 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 14, 2011, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=46127

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 22, 2024