Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Vevay in Switzerland County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Historical Site - Switzerland County Courthouse

 
 
Historical Site - Switzerland County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, August 7, 2011
1. Historical Site - Switzerland County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  
Top

Martha A. Graham

( Drawing of the River Paddle-wheeler. )


Lower Section

Designed in the Greek Classic style by David Dubach, Architect, and built by John Haley c. 1864, with restoration completed c. 1992. It is said the dungeon served as an “underground railroad” during the Civil War.
 
Erected by Switzerland County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Abolition & Underground RRNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
 
Location. 38° 44.806′ N, 85° 4.121′ W. Marker is in Vevay, Indiana, in Switzerland County. Marker is on West Main Street west of Liberty Street, on the right when traveling west. Located at the curb in front (south) of the Switzerland County Courthouse in Vevay, Indiana. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Vevay IN 47043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Switzerland County Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Switzerland County World War I Memorial (a few steps from this marker); The Dungeon
Obverse Side - - Historical Site - Switzerland County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, August 7, 2011
2. Obverse Side - - Historical Site - Switzerland County Courthouse Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(a few steps from this marker); Switzerland County Honor Roll Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Styles and Stories of Vevay's Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); Privy (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jail (about 300 feet away); James Tandy Ellis (approx. Ύ mile away in Kentucky). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vevay.
 
Also see . . .  Steam Ferry Boats: between Ghent -and- Vevay::. (Submitted on August 15, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
 
Paul W. Ogle - - Tribute Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, August 7, 2011
3. Paul W. Ogle - - Tribute Plaque
Text reads:

A tribute to Paul W. Ogle

We, the citizens of Switzerland County, do hereby set forth this expression of deepest appreciation and sincere gratitude to a great philanthropist, Paul W. Ogle, who through his foresight and benevolence restored pride to the community.

The Ogle Haus Inn, which he built, and finances he provided for the restoration of the Switzerland County Court House and other civic-minded projects, those completed and others planned for the oncoming years, have brought National acclaim and recognition to this area and enhanced its economic and social well-being.

June 18, 1907 –– March 21, 1989
Front - - Switzerland County Courthouse - Vevay, Indiana image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, August 7, 2011
4. Front - - Switzerland County Courthouse - Vevay, Indiana
The marker can be seen at the curb entry side-walk in this photo. Also, the Paul W. Ogle - Tribute Plaque can be seen on the exterior wall -- on the right side of the courthouse front entrance.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 697 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 15, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=46132

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 25, 2022