Emory in Washington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Donald W. Tendick, Sr., Memorial
From July 1943 to October 1945, Emory & Henry College served as a host site for the U.S. Navy’s V-5/V-12 officer training program—an intensive program of education and physical training that provided the Navy with strong, capable leaders during World War II.
In July 1998, a former V-5 Navy Air Force student, Donald W. Tendick, Sr., and his wife Rosemary, committed the funds necessary to purchase land and buildings in “downtown” Emory to begin a long-needed renewal.
This statue stands as a tribute to Donald and all those men who made up the U.S. Navy Program here at Emory & Henry and went on to serve their God, country, and fellow man.
Topics. This historical marker and memorial is listed in this topic list: War, World II. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1943.
Location. 36° 46.513′ N, 81° 49.727′ W. Marker is in Emory, Virginia, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Oxford Avenue (County Route 609) and Linden Street (County Route 866), on the right when traveling west on Oxford Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Meadowview VA 24361, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured Tobias Smyth House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Emory & Henry College (approx. 0.3 miles away); Buchanan-Blakemore House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Emory and Henry College (approx. 1.3 miles away); Edmondson Hall (approx. 2.2 miles away); Brig. Gen. William E. "Grumble" Jones, C.S.A. (approx. 2.3 miles away); Mrs. Eliza M. Jones (approx. 2.4 miles away); Fort Kilmachronan (approx. 5.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Emory.
Also see . . . V-12 Navy College Training Program. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on February 25, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Additional keywords. Emory & Henry College
Credits. This page was last revised on February 25, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 18, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,569 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 18, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 19, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Old photographs of downtown Emory • More information on Addison & Company, Emory Mercantile, and other former (and current) downtown Emory establishments • Can you help?