Emory in Washington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Subsequent to the death of James Augustus Buchanan, the house was conveyed to his daughter, Mary Walker Buchanan Blakemore. Upon her death, the house was conveyed to her only son, John Augustus Blakemore. Upon his death, the house was conveyed to his daughter, Martha Buchanan Blakemore McCrary. In 2006, the house was conveyed to Emory & Henry College.
Erected by Emory & Henry College.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
Location. 36° 46.049′ N, 81° 50.031′ W. Marker is in Emory, Virginia, in Washington County. Marker is on College Avenue (County Route 737) just north of Exit 26 (Interstate 81), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12485 College Dr, Meadowview VA 24361, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 milesTobias Smyth House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Emory & Henry College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Donald W. Tendick, Sr., Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Emory and Henry College (approx. 0.8 miles away); Brig. Gen. William E. "Grumble" Jones, C.S.A. (approx. 2˝ miles away); Mrs. Eliza M. Jones (approx. 2.6 miles away); Fort Kilmachronan (approx. 5.6 miles away); Sulphur Springs Church and Campground (approx. 8.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Emory.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 20, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 487 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 20, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.