Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coulterville in Mariposa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Mint

 
 
The Mint Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 17, 2011
1. The Mint Marker
Inscription.  This structure was built around 1860. After a fire, it was reconstructed in 1890. At this time, the building was owned by Tom Hollow and housed a blacksmith’s shop. The upper level was added around 1900 and eventually the building became a bar and restaurant, known as “The Mint”. At another time it was called “The 49er Club.”

In 1936 the building was sold to Louis Milani. Nine years later it became “The Emporium” which offered a large variety of goods.


 
Erected 1993 by E Clampus Vitus, Matuca Chapter No. 1849 (Erected Clamper Year 5998).
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
 
Location. 37° 42.685′ N, 120° 11.77′ W. Marker is in Coulterville, California, in Mariposa County. Marker is on Main Steet (County Route J132). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5008 Main Street, Coulterville CA 95311, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Walls (within shouting distance of this marker); Jeffery Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Coulterville (about 400 feet away); I.O.O.F Lodge 104 (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Coulterville (about 400 feet away); Whistling Billy (about 400 feet away); Coulterville Hotel (about 500 feet away); Sun Sun Wo Co. (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coulterville.
 
Regarding The Mint. It appears that the structure referred to in this marker no longer exists. The 'building' is a painted facade.
 
The Emporium image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 17, 2011
2. The Emporium
The marker is mounted at the far left.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 697 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 22, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=46365

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2024