Mariposa in Mariposa County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Mariposa County’s Old Stone Jail
E Clampus Vitus June 9, 1979
Rededicated with new plaque
April 4, 1992
By Matuca Chapter (5997)
Erected 1979 by E Clampus Vitus, Matuca Chapter No. 1849.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1867.
Location. 37° 29.066′ N, 119° 57.81′ W. Marker is in Mariposa, California, in Mariposa County. Marker is on Bullion Street, on the left when traveling south. The Old Stone Jail is located between Fourth and Fifth Streets. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5012 Bullion Street, Mariposa CA 95338, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Schlageter Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Trabucco Building (about 400 feet away); Fremont Adobe (about 400 feet away); Capital Saloon (about 500 feet away); Mariposa Meat Market (about 500 feet away); Mariposa Independent Order Odd Fellows Hall (about 500 feet away); St. Joseph's Catholic Church (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named St. Joseph’s Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mariposa.
Also see . . .
1. The Mariposa County Jail. The old jail, while still looking capable of confining even the most heinous desperados, hasn’t held a prisoner since it was condemned in 1963. (Submitted on August 27, 2011.)
2. Jail History. (Submitted on August 27, 2011.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 888 times since then and 89 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on August 24, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. 2. submitted on October 24, 2018, by Mandy Kirby of Clovis, California. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 24, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of original plaque. • Can you help?