Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

"Commissioners' Oak"

 
 
"Commissioners' Oak" Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anna Inbody, August 10, 2010
1. "Commissioners' Oak" Marker
Inscription.  In April 1786 Alexander Gillon, Henry Pendleton, Richard Winn, Richard Hampton, and Thomas Taylor, Commissioners appointed to lay out Columbia, are said to have met under an oak which grew near here. According to tradition the first court and jury in Richland County also met here.
 
Erected 1974 by The University of South Carolina. (Marker Number 40-3.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1786.
 
Location. 33° 59.706′ N, 81° 1.872′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker can be reached from S. Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Off of S. Main Street between Greene and Devine Streets. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. College Street (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Parade Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away); Blossom Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); University of South Carolina (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lieber College
"Commissioners' Oak" Marker Overview image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Anna Inbody, August 21, 2011
2. "Commissioners' Oak" Marker Overview
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Richard Theodore Greener (1844-1922) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pinckney College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Legare College (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 569 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 24, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=46449

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 12, 2022