Columbia United Methodist Church
During the latter half of the nineteenth century, the town of Columbia lost much of its population to Marion (now East Columbia), and eventually the Methodist Church began meeting there. The congregation built its first sanctuary in Marion, where the Columbia circuit preacher held services twice a month.
About 1913, another Methodist congregation began meeting in West Columbia. In a few years, this church had grown to require a full-time pastor, while the East Columbia fellowship still was served by a circuit preacher. By 1928, the two congregations merged and have continued to meet in West Columbia since then.
With its ties to the beginnings of Methodism in Texas, Columbia United Methodist Church stands as a significant reminder of Brazoria County History.
Erected 1984 by Texas Historical Commission
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 8.47′ N, 95° 38.855′ W. Marker is in West Columbia, Texas, in Brazoria County. Marker is on South 16th Street 0.1 miles north of East Jackson Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 106 East Jackson Street, West Columbia TX 77486, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Columbia Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Columbia (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia Rosenwald School (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Capitol Oak (approx. ¼ mile away); The Brazos River and the Steamboat Yellowstone (approx. ¼ mile away); Columbia in 1836 (approx. ¼ mile away); Religion in the New Capital (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Columbia.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2011, by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. This page has been viewed 578 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 24, 2011, by Debbie A. Sutherland of West Columbia, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.