Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Point of Beginning
Erected 1986 by the Lynchburg Committee, National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the Commonwealth of Virginia, for the city's bicentennial, October 16, 1986.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames of America, National Society of series list.
Location. 37° 24.9′ N, 79° 8.532′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of 9th Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling west on 9th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lynchburg VA 24504, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Lynchburg History (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Lynchburg History (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Carter Glass (about 400 feet away); Lynchburg (about 400 feet away); Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines of the Spanish American War (about 500 feet away); Mr. Elder’s Rose Garden (about 600 feet away); Civil War Lynchburg (about 600 feet away); Lynchburg Confederate Soldiers Monument (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lynchburg.
Also see . . . The History of Lynchburg, Virginia, An Overview. “In the mid-1750's, the colonial village of New London in central Virginia was an important trading center, however, it was difficult to reach from northern towns (such as Charlottesville) due to the necessity of fording the Fluvanna (now James) River, which passed twelve miles north of the village. John Lynch, son of land-owner Charles Lynch and Quaker Sarah Clark Lynch, decided to remedy this problem, and in 1757, established a ferry service on the James a few hundred yards upstream from the ford, on property owned by his father. The ferry service remained profitable for many years, and by the end of the American Revolution, the village at Lynch’s Ferry had itself become an important center of trade. Lynch saw the possibilities of establishing a town on the hill overlooking the ferry site, and in late 1784 petitioned the General Assembly of Virginia for a town charter.” (Submitted on August 25, 2011.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 524 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 25, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.