Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Robert Edward Flournoy, Jr.

September 30, 1930 - August 10, 2003

 
 
Robert Edward Flournoy, Jr. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, September 11, 2005
1. Robert Edward Flournoy, Jr. Marker
Inscription.  Lawyer, Legislator, Mayor, Judge Robert Flournoy moved to Marietta from Atlanta in 1957 to practice law. He served in the Georgia House 1963 – 1965, creating the Cobb State Court. Flournoy founded the Downtown Marietta Development Authority in 1971. As Mayor of Marietta, 1982 – 1986, he oversaw the renovations of Glover Park. In 1987, he became Cobb Superior Court Judge, rising to Chief Judge Cobb Judicial Circuit in 1999, and serving as Senior Judge in 2001 until his death in 2003. He used his keen intelligence, humor, oratory, honesty, courage and vivid personality to uphold the cause of justice, be a unifying force in the community, and serve the common good of all.
 
Erected by Erected by The Kiwanis Club of Marietta.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1957.
 
Location. 33° 57.128′ N, 84° 32.854′ W. Marker is in Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Washington Ave. (Georgia Route 120). Touch for map. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is at or near this postal address: 147 Washington Ave, Marietta GA 30060, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Judge Debra Halpern Bernes (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cherokee Treaty (about 400 feet away); Cobb County (about 700 feet away); Alexander Stephens Clay (about 700 feet away); Old Zion Heritage Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); UDC and Kennesaw House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kennesaw House (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Kennesaw House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
 
Robert Edward Flournoy, Jr. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Judith Barber, August 28, 2011
2. Robert Edward Flournoy, Jr. Marker
Marker is in front of the courthouse in Marietta, GA.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 29, 2011, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 891 times since then and 126 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 1, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on August 29, 2011, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=46618

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024