Oakland in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Garrett Memorial Church
(St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church)
Directly behind you, John W. Garrett built Garrett Memorial Church in 1869 as a memorial to his brother Henry S. Garrett who died in 1867. The site was originally chosen by his brother for a church, but he died before steps could be taken to build it. Early residents referred to it as “the stone church” since it was the first church in Oakland to be completely constructed of this material. The Garrett brothers had a long affiliation with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, and the stones came from a quarry beside the railroad tracks near Rowlesburg, W. V. The quarry was the source of quality building stone which the railroad used for bridges and building foundations, so John W. Garrett chose to use stones from this quarry.
Garrett Memorial Church first served as a “community church” for various Christian denominations although primarily Presbyterian and Episcopal congregations. In 1874, the Episcopal congregation built its own church and in 1903, the Garrett family gave title to the property to the Presbyterian Church of Oakland. After the Presbyterian congregation dwindled away, the Episcopal congregation returned once more and began
Sometimes it is called the “Church of the Presidents,” which refers to the fact that four Presidents of the United States attended services in this building while visiting Garrett County. They were Presidents Ulysses Grant, James Garfield, Benjamin Harrison and Grover Cleveland.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O), the Former U.S. Presidents: #18 Ulysses S. Grant, the Former U.S. Presidents: #20 James A. Garfield, the Former U.S. Presidents: #22 and #24 Grover Cleveland, the Former U.S. Presidents: #23 Benjamin Harrison, and the Maryland, Town of Oakland series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
Location. 39° 24.57′ N, 79° 24.501′ W. Marker is in Oakland, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is on West Liberty Street near South 2nd Street, on the left when traveling westTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oakland MD 21550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Glades Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Dailey’s Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary War Patriots (within shouting distance of this marker); Railroad Street (within shouting distance of this marker); 1938 McCormick-Deering Farmall F14 & 1942 John Deere (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
Also see . . . St. Matthew's Episcopal Church (Garrett Memorial Presbyterian Church). Maryland Historical Trust website entry (Submitted on March 30, 2022, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 29, 2023. It was originally submitted on July 30, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,602 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 3. submitted on August 20, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on July 30, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. 5. submitted on September 28, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 6. submitted on September 29, 2023, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia.