North 4th Street
Original Hotel Victor
The Original Hotel Victor was built by the Woods family in 1894 at the corner of 4th and Victor Avenue – where JET Service now stands. While digging the hotel foundation workmen discovered a rich gold bearing vein which led up the hill to the location that became the Gold Coin Mine.
The Original Hotel Victor had balconies and an unusual pyramidal rooftop tower. It was one of the most widely photographed buildings in Victor. Hundreds of people perched on the balconies to watch Independence Day Parades.
Less than seven weeks after the July 4th celebration of 1899, a devastating fire swept through the city and destroyed the Original Hotel Victor. The site remained vacant for many years. During that time, circus tents were set up on the property for holiday celebration and throngs of people gathered there for labor union rallies.
The First National Bank of Victor, also owned by the Woods family, was located directly across 4th Street; it to was destroyed by the fire in August of 1899. By Christmas Eve of that year, a new four-story bank was rebuilt. Unfortunately the new bank was forced to close
Several successor banks, including A.E. Carlton’s City Bank, occupied the bank building and it eventually became the “New” Victor Hotel. After remaining vacant for many years, the restored hotel building reopened for business in 1992. The bank vault and original bird cage elevator, still operational, can be seen by stepping into the hotel lobby.
North 4th St. was the scene of several celebrations, including the 4th of July extravaganza pictured below.
In 1907-08 the Mint Bar, (shown on the left side of the above photo) now JET Service, was built on the site of the Original Hotel Victor. An advertisement in the Victor Daily Record on opening day, January 23, 1908, described the Mint Bar as a “gentlemen’s resort, with the best of everything in liquid refreshments, fine cigars and courteous treatment.” The saloon’s bar was made of solid mahogany with an imported plate glass mirror, the equal of any in the state. The pool and billiards room was equipped with an attractive cigar stand, six pool tables and two billiards tables. Seating was plentiful. T.D. Foster owned the building and Teddy Booth managed the bar. The current day JET Service moved into the Mint Bar building in the 1960’s. The current day
Photos courtesy Victory Lowell Thomas Museum, Colorado Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings.
Location. 38° 42.607′ N, 105° 8.469′ W. Marker is in Victor, Colorado, in Teller County. Marker is at the intersection of South 4th Street and Victor Avenue on South 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South 4th Street, Victor CO 80860, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Labor Wars (within shouting distance of this marker); Lowell Thomas’s Victor (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Bawdy Side of Town (about 300 feet away); Welcome to Victor Colorado (about 300 feet away); North 3rd Street (about 300 feet away); Victor City Hall (about 300 feet away); Fire! (about 300 feet away); East Victor Avenue (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victor.
Also see . . . The Victor Hotel - history. (Submitted on September 2, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
Additional keywords. hotels, bars, saloons
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 491 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 2, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.