Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Albany in Floyd County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Memories of Division

 
 
Memories of Division Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, August 28, 2011
1. Memories of Division Marker
Inscription.  Enslaved blacks seeking freedom crossed the Ohio River from Louisville to New Albany almost from the founding of the Indiana town. The Indiana Constitution of 1816 prohibited slavery. Because of the large number of blacks crossing the river, the proportion of African Americans in New Albany, located in a free state, rose to 7.5 percent by 1860, It was one of the highest in Indiana and the Ohio Valley.

Prior to the Civil War, free education was unavailable to African American students in Indiana. Public schools for blacks were permitted only in 1869, when Indiana passed a law permitting separate schools for them. Obviously, mot of these schools were segregated. Division Street School, which was built in 1884 and opened in 1885 at a cost of $1,752, provided education in grades one through six, for children in East New Albany. The school initially enrolled 60 - 70 students in two classrooms. Over the next 60 years, about 3,000 children attended, prior to its closure in 1946. School desegregation in Indiana began in 1949.

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the Division Street School was restored in 2005. It
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
now serves as a living history center to instruct school children and the public about segregation and African-American history in New Albany.

• • • • By the Way::
The City of New Albany dedicated a nearby street in honor of the late Kathryn Hickerson, a co-founder of the Friends of the Division Street School.

 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducation. A significant historical year for this entry is 1816.
 
Location. 38° 17.588′ N, 85° 48.306′ W. Marker is in New Albany, Indiana, in Floyd County. Marker is on Division Street west of East 18th Street, on the left when traveling west. Located in front of the 'Division Street School' in New Albany, Indiana. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Albany IN 47151, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Division Street School (a few steps from this marker); The Mansion on Main (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Morrill House (approx. 0.4 miles away); New Albany National Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Honoring Our Heroes (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cardinal Joseph E. Ritter (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named New Albany National Cemetery (approx. half a mile away); Michael C. Kerr Home (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Albany.
 
Text Area - - Memories of Division Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, August 28, 2011
2. Text Area - - Memories of Division Marker
Marker Photo - - Division Street Classroom image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, August 28, 2011
3. Marker Photo - - Division Street Classroom
Marker Photo - - "May 6, 1941" image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, August 28, 2011
4. Marker Photo - - "May 6, 1941"
Marker Photo - - "c.1917" image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, August 28, 2011
5. Marker Photo - - "c.1917"
"Division Street School" -and- Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, August 28, 2011
6. "Division Street School" -and- Marker
'Conservative Street' Side of the School image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, August 28, 2011
7. 'Conservative Street' Side of the School
Stone Sign - - "Established 1884" image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Courtesy:: Marilyn S. Wolf, August 28, 2011
8. Stone Sign - - "Established 1884"
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 595 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 2, 2011, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=46766

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024