Leavenworth in Leavenworth County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
First Presbyterian Church
Rev. B. M. Hobson of Lexington, Mo. a Presbyterian preached in a grove of elms near 3rd & Miami in the summer of 1855. On 1 Jan. 1856 Rev. C. D. Martin of Philadelphia organized the First Presbyterian Church with nine members. The group reorganized in May 1857 and built the first church in July 1857. Except for the Indian Missions, this was the first of the denomination in Kansas.
A larger church was built in 1871 on Delaware between 6th & 7th St. By 1885 all Presbyterian bodies in the city, Cumberland, United and Westminster, had merged with the First Presbyterian.
The present ediface was completed and dedicated on 3 Jan. 1909.
Erected 1986 by First Presbyterian Church & Leavenworth County Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1857.
Location. 39° 18.818′ N, 94° 54.781′ W. Marker is in Leavenworth, Kansas, in Leavenworth County. Marker is at the intersection of 4th Street (U.S. 73) and Walnut Street, on the right when traveling south Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 407 Walnut Street, Leavenworth KS 66048, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quartzite Boulder (within shouting distance of this marker); Leavenworth Public Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); World War and All War Memorial (about 300 feet away); Leavenworth County War Memorial (about 400 feet away); Leavenworth County (about 400 feet away); Leavenworth County World War Memorial (about 400 feet away); "Harvey House" Leavenworth Court House Annex I (approx. ¼ mile away); Home of Frederick Henry Harvey (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leavenworth.
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church, Leavenworth KS. (Submitted on September 2, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 2, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 404 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 2, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.