North 3rd Street
Formerly at 111 N 3rd Street
Up North 3rd Street from the Monarch was the Baltimore Hotel – the largest hotel in Victor in 1911. It was three stories high and had 50 large rooms for rent.
The Baltimore’s management decorated their establishment with comfortable, home-like furniture. There was a dining hall for guests, a special commercial dining room, and the German Beer Hall. Charles Bosick and John Bindscaedler ran the German Beer Hall. It was located on the first floor of the hotel. The menu was long and exotic. There were domestic and Key West cigars, imported wines like Niersteiner for $1.50 a bottle, and cheese from all over the world. Lord Kitchner Sardines from Norway cost 20 cents a plate. Prime Russian Caviar was 40 cents a serving. Old Taylor, Old Crow, and Canadian Club – all whiskies – sold for 15 cents a drink. Three Star
Post Office Block/CC and V Mine Offices
After the great fire of 1899, D.H. Moffat was instrumental in having the Post Office Block rebuilt – primarily because it housed the Bank of Victor. From this seat of financial power, reached through the recessed corner entrance, Moffat and partner John T. Milliken helped topple the Woods family empire and then bought up the under-financed pieces. A.E. Carlton eventually became owner of this bank.
In 1900, the Post Office and a newsstand occupied the space that most recently housed a sporting goods store. Shillings Dry Goods Company was in the section of the building where the current Post Office and grocery store are located. In later years, J.C. Penny’s was located in this part of the building. On the second story were the offices rented to H.T. Corbin (justice of peace), Charles D, Gurney (attorney), John V. Ducey (dentist), and J. Wallace Collins (physician and surgeon). At a later date, one of these offices was occupied by Dr. Harry Thomas, father of Lowell Thomas.
The Cripple Creek and Victor Mining
In 1900, the lavishly decorated Monarch Saloon was located in the large gallery area of this building – the interior still has the original hand-painted tin ceiling. Whiskey was sold in bottles embossed with the proprietor’s name, W.S. Sexton. The Monarch catered to “high class” clientele with private clubrooms and a large gambling hall on the second floor. Bartenders at the Monarch included M. J. Sweeney in 1896, C.F. Kissel and Sam Red Fern in 1900. Other Victor Avenue storefronts in the Monarch Block house Small Jewelers and Simonton Insurance/Real Estate. On the 3rd Street side of the building was a mining stockbroker in the storefront.
Note the square parapet on the southeast corner showing the construction date of 1899 and the decorative scroll-like modillions [sic] attached to the cornice. The second story windows have fixed decorative transoms with beveled-leaded glass.Postal Mail and Philately series list.
Location. 38° 42.598′ N, 105° 8.401′ W. Marker is in Victor, Colorado, in Teller County. Marker is at the intersection of South 3rd Street and Victor Avenue on South 3rd Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South 3rd Street, Victor CO 80860, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lowell Thomas’s Victor (a few steps from this marker); Fire! (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bawdy Side of Town (within shouting distance of this marker); East Victor Avenue (within shouting distance of this marker); North 4th Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Labor Wars (about 400 feet away); Welcome to Victor Colorado (about 600 feet away); Victor City Hall (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victor.
Additional keywords. saloons, hotels, post office
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 568 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 3, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.