Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Oakland in Garrett County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Glades Hotel

 
 
The Glades Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones, July 17, 2020
1. The Glades Hotel Marker
Inscription.  
Facing the railroad tracks directly in front of you was the Glades Hotel. Deriving its name from the nearby area called “Youghiogheny Glades,” the Glades Hotel was built in the mid-1850’s by Perry Lyle directly across the tracks from the 1851 Oakland railroad station. John Dailey, who gradually extended it parallel to the tracks tripling its original length, purchased it in 1859. Among guests at the hotel were a number of railroad officials and, before the Civil War, U.S. Senator Jefferson Davis.

For a number of years railroad passenger trains did not have dining cars, and the Glades Hotel was one of the many regular stops along the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad where passengers could get a quick meal in the hotel's dining room.

During a raid by Confederate troops on the town of Oakland on Sunday, April 26, 1863, the Glades Hotel was the only building in town subject to cannon fire. The troops had information that an injured Union officer was recuperating in the hotel so they fired a cannon shot down the rail line toward the hotel from the Second
Oakland B&O Station. This marker is at the sidewalk on the left. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, July 14, 2006
2. Oakland B&O Station. This marker is at the sidewalk on the left.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Street crossing. John Dailey was able to convince the Confederate troops, after allowing a thorough search of the building, that a Union officer was not in the building, thus sparing the hotel.

After Garrett became a county in 1872, visiting Circuit Court judges used the old and later the new Glades Hotel as a place to hold court until a regular courthouse was built in 1877. The original Glades Hotel burned to the ground in 1874, but in the same year a new version was built east of the old location in the area now occupied by the Town of Oakland parking lot.

Mr. John Dailey continued to manage the new Glades Hotel until his death in 1881. John Brant, a long time employee, then assumed management until it finally closed in the early 1900’s. The building was torn down for the lumber in 1908.
 
Erected by The Town of Oakland, Maryland.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsRailroads & StreetcarsWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O), and the Maryland, Town of Oakland series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is April 26, 1869.
 
Location. 39° 24.582′ N, 79° 24.51′ W. Marker is in Oakland
The Glades Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, June 4, 2006
3. The Glades Hotel Marker
, Maryland, in Garrett County. Marker is on West Liberty Street near South 2nd Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oakland MD 21550, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Railroad Street (a few steps from this marker); Garrett Memorial Church (within shouting distance of this marker); 1938 McCormick-Deering Farmall F14 & 1942 John Deere (within shouting distance of this marker); Gettysburg Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); 1920 Baldwin Steam Locomotive (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oakland.
 
Additional commentary.
1. "Stonewall Jackson's Way" & Ben Hur
At the Glades Hotel, William C. Palmer wrote all but the last verse of the song "Stonewall Jackson's Way" on September 16, 1962. Lew Wallace stayed here while he was writing "Ben Hur."
    — Submitted September 26, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.
 
The Glades Hotel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, September 22, 2013
4. The Glades Hotel
Close-up of photo on marker
The Glades Hotel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, December 29, 2011
5. The Glades Hotel
The Glades Hotel, Oakland Maryland. This picture was taken prior to 1874, the year the hotel was destroyed by fire. It was built by White and Burton. First operated by Perry Lyles, it was taken over by John Daily in 1858. His daughter, Mary, married General George A. Crook who built Crook's Crest a few years after the Civil War. This was undoubtedly the first railroad hotel on top of any mountain in the world. This was the headquarters for the organization that created Garrett County. Here the first Court of Garrett County was held. This is the oldest picture of any part of Oakland, Maryland Courtesy of the Glades Star. -- "Boyhood Memories of Oakland. Maryland fifty years ago" by Thomas J. Brant, 1900, Tableland Trails, Felix G. Robinson ed.
Photo in the Historical Society Museum
Photo also appears on marker
Oakland Station & The Glades Hotel image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Wm. Prescott Smith
6. Oakland Station & The Glades Hotel
Oakland Station with the Glades Hotel On the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad 234 Miles from Baltimore and 2,500 Feet above Tide Water
From The Book of Great Railway Celebrations of 1857. by Wm. Prescott Smith, 1858.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 1, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 3,248 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 18, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   4, 5, 6. submitted on September 26, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=468

Paid Advertisements
 
 

Jun. 30, 2022