Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Trinity Parish Church

Episcopal

 
 
Trinity Parish Church Episcopal Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
1. Trinity Parish Church Episcopal Marker
Inscription.  The Church of England was established in Florida during the British occupation (1763-1783). The Reverend John Forbes held services first in the Spanish Bishop's House then on this site. Later, the ancient Spanish church a short distance south on St. George street was renovated and re-named St. Peters. There Anglican worship continued until the Spanish returned to Florida in 1784.

Shortly after Florida became a United States Territory in 1821, the Reverend Andrew Fowler of Charleston, South Carolina, founded the Protestant Episcopal Church in St. Augustine and held first services in the Government House.

The cornerstone of the original church, which forms the north transept of this building, was laid June 23, 1825. The church was enlarged to its present form in 1902.
 
Erected 1965 by St. Johns County Historical Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1917.
 
Location. 29° 53.529′ N, 81° 18.738′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in St. Johns County
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is at the intersection of King Street and St. George Street, on the right when traveling east on King Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Episcopal Church (a few steps from this marker); 31 King Street (within shouting distance of this marker); Prisoners of War in St. Augustine During the American Revolution (within shouting distance of this marker); Constitution Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Andrew Young Crossing (within shouting distance of this marker); Cast Iron Gun (within shouting distance of this marker); Government House: Legacy of Authority (within shouting distance of this marker); 8 inch Columbiad (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Trinity Parish Church Marker after restoration image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, September 18, 2020
2. Trinity Parish Church Marker after restoration
Trinity Parish Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
3. Trinity Parish Church and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 534 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on September 4, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on September 19, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.   3. submitted on September 4, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=46850

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024