Steubenville in Jefferson County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
This Old Federal Land Office
on May 10, 1800.
President John Adams appointed David Hoge
as Land and Title Registrar, which position
he held for forty years.
In 1801 Mr. Hoge bought the lot on North Third
Street from Bezaleel Wells, founder of
Steubenville, and erected a log cabin
where the land of the Seven Ranges was sold.
The N.S.U.S. Daughters of 1812
State of Ohio
April 1, 1941
of the Northwest Territory, was moved to this site,
restored and furnished through the cooperation of the
Jefferson County Commissioners
Russell Hesske........Michael Blischak
Nick Calabria.........Leo J. Nolan
John W. Targoss, Mayor - Samuel N. Johnson, Engineer
Mrs. Howard H. Minor - President
The Federal Land Office Park, Inc.
George J. Barthold, Pres. - Mrs. Carl Goehring, V. Pres.
Mrs. Earl S. Snyder, Sec'y
gave generously of their time and effort.
Rededicated July 4th 1965
Erected 1941 by N.S.U.S. Daughters of 1812, State of Ohio.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #02 John Adams, and the United States Daughters of 1812, National Society series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1888.
Location. 40° 21.485′ N, 80° 36.839′ W. Marker is in Steubenville, Ohio, in Jefferson County. Marker can be reached from South Third Street east of Adams Street. This historical marker is located in the downtown business district, near the Ohio River, on the grounds of the Historic Fort Steuben Park, within the area enclosed by a chain link fence that surrounds the log structure that housed the Land Office. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Steubenville OH 43952, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Federal Land Office (within shouting distance of this marker); North-West Corner of Fort Steuben (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Steuben (within shouting distance of this marker); Steubenville's Dean Martin (within shouting distance of Veterans Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton (about 600 feet away); The Steubenville Building and Loan Association Building (about 600 feet away); Edwin McMasters Stanton (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Steubenville.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 4, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 597 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on September 6, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 5, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.