Plattsburgh in Clinton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The embankment on this spot is all that remains of Fort Brown which constituted the left flank of the American line of defense at the Battle of Plattsburgh September 6-11, 1814 It was manned by detachments of the 30th & 31st Regiments of Infantry under Lieut. Col. Storrs.
Erected by Saranac Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1814.
Location. 44° 41.278′ N, 73° 27.004′ W. Marker is in Plattsburgh, New York, in Clinton County. Marker is on Peru Street (U.S. 9) 0.1 miles south of New Jersey Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plattsburgh NY 12903, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. U.S. Fort Brown (within shouting distance of this marker); Officers' Mess Plattsburgh Barracks (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Moreau Memorial Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Remarkable One-Armed Joe Forkey (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Scott (approx. ¼ mile away); Plattsburgh Barracks Veterans Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Afghanistan and Iraq/ Plattsburgh Barracks Monument (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Plattsburgh.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2011, by Joe Harness of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 674 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 9, 2011, by Joe Harness of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. 2. submitted on September 7, 2011, by Joe Harness of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.