Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Teton County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

Gathering

 
 
Gathering Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, June 10, 2011
1. Gathering Marker
Inscription.  On June 15, 1897 John and Maggie Simpson donated land on which to build a Gathering place for residents of the valley.

This structure became known as the Clubhouse and originally housed the gun club. The Clubhouse also became a community spot for meetings, movies and all-night dances.

"...we all one-stepped, two-stepped, fox-trotted and waltzed and polkaed together in the old Clubhouse----a two-story log and frame building on the east side of the Square. The dance hall was upstairs over the drugstore. One evening during a dance Clause and I went downstairs for a soda. The thunder, the shaking and vibration from the dancing feet above were terrifying. But the building stood, and has stood, all the years."
- Authors, Margaret and Clause Murie
Wapita Wilderness
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EntertainmentNotable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is June 15, 1897.
 
Location. 43° 28.815′ N, 110° 45.709′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Wyoming, in Teton County. Marker is on Deloney Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Marker is on Jackson Square.

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson WY 83001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Teton County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Clubhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); John Colter (within shouting distance of this marker); The Jackson Town Square (within shouting distance of this marker); The Square as it appeared in 1936 (within shouting distance of this marker); In The Early Days (within shouting distance of this marker); The Jackson State Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Deloney Avenue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, June 10, 2011
2. Deloney Avenue
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 550 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 12, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47073

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024