Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Teton County, Wyoming — The American West (Mountains)
 

The Square as it appeared in 1936

 
 
The Square as it appeared in 1936 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, June 10, 2011
1. The Square as it appeared in 1936 Marker
Inscription.  The log cabin to the far left once housed the Jackson Post Office. Next door stood the I.O.O.F. (Independent Order of Odd Fellows) building, which is still recognizable today.

In the distant background there is the distinctive curved roof line of the Rainbow Dance Hall as well as the classic western facade of the Jackson hole Courier, the town's first local newspaper.

A year after this photograph was taken, Jackson Drug Company was relocated from the Clubhouse to a building constructed west of the post office. It was the only stone building on the Town Square. Cutting blocks of ice from nearby ponds and gathering eggs and cream from local ranches, the drug store owners made their own ice cream. Locals considered this drugstore with its old time soda fountain the heart of town.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
 
Location. 43° 28.8′ N, 110° 45.735′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Wyoming, in Teton County. Marker is on U.S. 89, on the right when traveling north. Marker is on the Square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jackson WY 83001, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Clubhouse (here, next to this marker); John Colter (a few steps from this marker); The Jackson Town Square (a few steps from this marker); The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar (a few steps from this marker); Teton County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Gathering (within shouting distance of this marker); The Jackson State Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Elk Antler Arches (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
 
Jackson Drug Company building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Pfingsten, June 10, 2011
2. Jackson Drug Company building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 571 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 12, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47074

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 21, 2024