Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Livingston in Grant County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Rock Church

 
 
Old Rock Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gordon Govier, September 11, 2011
1. Old Rock Church Marker
Inscription.  The Rock Church, originally part of the Methodist Episcopal Church, stands on land donated by a pioneer settler, Bosman Clifton, in memory of his daughter.

Construction began in 1851 and men and women alike, worked long and hard for several years to complete it. They drew limestone for the walls from a quarry just west of here and hauled other materials 40 miles from Galena, Illinois by oxen and wagon.

More than a small church on a windblown hillside, Rock Church is a true symbol of the pioneering spirit and religious heritage of its builders.

Erected in memory of Mr. and Mrs. Frank P. Yelinek
 
Erected 1969.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1851.
 
Location. 42° 54.303′ N, 90° 28.053′ W. Marker is near Livingston, Wisconsin, in Grant County. Marker is on Rock Church Road, 0.3 miles north of County Road E, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Livingston WI 53554, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World's Largest M (approx. 10.3 miles away); 1998 Wisconsin Assembly (approx. 10.8 miles away); Belmont, Wisconsin Territory, 1836 (approx. 10.8 miles away); Governor Tommy G. Thompson's 1998 Address At Wisconsin's First Capitol (approx. 10.9 miles away); Land, Lead, and Politics (approx. 10.9 miles away); The First Capitol (approx. 10.9 miles away); The "Dinky" (approx. 11.1 miles away); Beebe-Johnson House (approx. 11˝ miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Cemetery Vandalism. The Old Rock Church cemetery suffered heavy vandalism during August, 2011. (Submitted on September 22, 2011, by Gordon Govier of Fitchburg, Wisconsin.) 
 
Old Rock Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gordon Govier, September 11, 2011
2. Old Rock Church
Old Rock Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gordon Govier, September 11, 2011
3. Old Rock Church
Old Rock Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gordon Govier, September 11, 2011
4. Old Rock Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2011, by Gordon Govier of Fitchburg, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 587 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 12, 2011, by Gordon Govier of Fitchburg, Wisconsin. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47089

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024