Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Gaines in Clay County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Queen City of the Chattahoochee

 
 
Queen City of the Chattahoochee Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
1. Queen City of the Chattahoochee Marker
Inscription.  Known by the Indians as A-Con-Hollo-Way Tal-lo fa (Highland Town), Fort Gaines, established as a frontier fort in 1816 by Gen. Edmund P. Gaines, was chartered as a town in 1830 and named for Gen Gaines. A shipping point for cotton planters for many miles on both sides of the river, it was the most important point between Apalachicola and Columbus until the railroads in 1858. Huge warehouse along the river held thousands of bales of cotton for shipping in large steamboats. Traces of a slide down the bluff to the warehouse still exist. The Hartford Road was a main traffic artery. First merchants were Hartwell Tarver, John Brochman and John Dill.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 030-4.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and CastlesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1816.
 
Location. 31° 36.208′ N, 85° 2.933′ W. Marker is in Fort Gaines, Georgia, in Clay County
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
. Marker is at the intersection of Hartford Road (Georgia Route 37) and Washington Street (Georgia Route 39), on the right when traveling east on Hartford Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Gaines GA 39851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines (within shouting distance of this marker); Clay County (within shouting distance of this marker); Clay County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Gaines Guards (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Sites (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Pioneer Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the First Clay County Courthouse and Jail (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Gaines (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gaines.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Gaines, Ga. Our History (Submitted on September 14, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.) 
 
Queen City of the Chattahoochee Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
2. Queen City of the Chattahoochee Marker
Queen City of the Chattahoochee Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
3. Queen City of the Chattahoochee Marker
Looking north: the marker is on the left, Washington Street (GA Highway 39) is to the right and straight ahead across Hartford Road (GA Highway 37). The Clay County Courthouse is the light grey building on the right on Washington Street.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 605 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 12, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47100

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024