Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Big Spring in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lancelot Jacques

 
 
Lancelot Jacques Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, January 12, 2003
1. Lancelot Jacques Marker
Inscription.  A French Hugenot who in partnership with Thomas Johnson in 1768 built "Green Spring Furnace." He and Johnson dissolved partnership in 1776 when Johnson became first governor of Maryland. Jacques' house built about 1766.
 
Erected by State Roads Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1768.
 
Location. 39° 37.336′ N, 77° 58.483′ W. Marker is near Big Spring, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Big Pool Road (Maryland Route 56) and McCoys Ferry Road, on the right when traveling east on Big Pool Road. Marker is about 200 feet west of the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clear Spring MD 21722, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McCoy's Ferry (approx. one mile away); Four Locks (approx. 1˝ miles away); Mule Power (approx. 1˝ miles away); a different marker also named Four Locks (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Federal Signal Station
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 1.7 miles away); Fort Frederick (approx. 1.8 miles away); Fort Frederick Officers’ Quarters (approx. 1.8 miles away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 1.8 miles away).
 
More about this marker. The post for this marker is leaning and twisted, which, along with overgrown brush. make it hard to see when driving and looking west. In a 9/15/11 e-mail, Nancy Kurtz, the National Register Coordinator of the Maryland Historical Trust, said that the SHA will soon be repairing and repainting this marker along with others in Washington County.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,726 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on September 13, 2011, by Dan Guzy of Mercersburg, Pennsylvania. Photo   1. submitted on December 1, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47120

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2021