Wolf Creek in Josephine County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Wolf Creek Tavern
Wolf Creek Inn
Wolf Creek Tavern was built c. 1883 by Henry Smith, a highly successful and influential local entrepreneur. The establishment of the hotel, mercantile and post office occurred at the time the Oregon and California Railroad was being completed in Wolf Creek. It is thought to be the oldest continuously operating hotel in the Pacific Northwest. The building is a superb example of Classical Revival architecture style of early inns of the American West.
When the Pacific Highway reached Wolf Creek in 1922, traffic increased as did the number of clientele stopping at the Tavern. In 1925, hotel owner-manager John Dougall added a guest wing, kitchen, and simi-circular drive and gateway signs. His creative marketing included claims that famous guests such as President Rutherford B. Hayes, Jack London, and Sinclair Lewis stayed at the Tavern -- claims that endure as local legend.
Wolf Creek Tavern was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, conveyed to the State of Oregon in 1975, carefully restored by local craftspeople and re-opened in 1979 by Oregon State Parks.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
Location. 42° 41.705′ N, 123° 23.781′ W. Marker is in Wolf Creek, Oregon, in Josephine County. Marker is at the intersection of Front Street and Lower Wolf Creek Road, on the right when traveling south on Front Street. Off I-5, 20 miles north of Grants Pass (Exit 76). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Front Street, Wolf Creek OR 97497, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Early Traveler Accommodations (within shouting distance of this marker); Feeble, Hungry, and Haggard (within shouting distance of this marker); The Applegate Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); City of Glendale (approx. 3.3 miles away); Golden (approx. 3.4 miles away); GOLD! (approx. 3.4 miles away); Grave Creek Ranch (approx. 4.2 miles away); a different marker also named The Applegate Trail (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wolf Creek.
More about this marker. Marker is on the front of the Wolf Creek Tavern to the left of the main entrance to the building.
Also see . . . The Wolf Creek Inn. Website homepage:
The Wolf Creek Inn, first called the Wolf Creek Tavern, is the oldest continuous use (Submitted on September 14, 2011, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 14, 2011, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 1,040 times since then and 75 times this year. Last updated on September 15, 2011, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 14, 2011, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. 3, 4. submitted on September 15, 2011. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.