Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Morgan Cigar Factory

A Symbol of Tampa's Romantic Cigar Industry

 
 
Morgan Cigar Factory Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, September 16, 2011
1. Morgan Cigar Factory Marker
Inscription.  In 1907 William T. Morgan erected this three story cigar factory and soon his Juan De Fuca label attained wide acceptance throughout the country. By 1910, the company had to move to larger quarters to accommodate 1,000 workers.

     After Morgan vacated this building, it was occupied by six other cigar factories. In 1991, Advanced Promotional Concepts, Inc., purchased the building and restored it to its original state.

Established by Advanced Promotional Concepts, Inc.
Sponsored by the West Tampa Historical Society,
March 11, 1993

 
Erected 1993 by Advanced Promotional Concepts, Inc. and the West Tampa Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1924.
 
Location. 27° 57.925′ N, 82° 28.976′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on North Howard Avenue north of West St. Louis Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2802 North Howard Avenue, Tampa FL 33607, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Centro Español de West Tampa (approx. ¼ mile away); The Andres Diaz Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Academy of The Holy Names (approx. 0.4 miles away); The West Tampa Boys Club (approx. half a mile away); The Beginning of the Cigar Industry in West Tampa (approx. half a mile away); West Tampa Free Public Library (approx. half a mile away); Franciscan Center, Founded in 1970 (approx. 0.6 miles away); Hugh C. Macfarlane (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
 
More about this marker. The marker is located outside the front of the building, to the right of the front stairway when viewed from Howard Avenue. The marker is capped with the seal of the former city of West Tampa.
 
Regarding Morgan Cigar Factory. The Morgan Cigar Co. moved from Seattle, WA, to West Tampa in 1905. They would initially set up shop in a smaller structure before building their factory in 1907. Upon outgrowing the young structure three years later, they did not have to look far to find larger accommodations. Fourteen blocks south along Howard Avenue they found a factory built in 1903 which was formerly the home of the Berriman Bros. Cigar Co.

While the old Morgan factory may no longer produce hand-rolled cigars,
Morgan Cigar Factory Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, September 16, 2011
2. Morgan Cigar Factory Building and Marker
The marker is seen to the right of the front steps.
it has found a new purpose as a commercial office building. Among several businesses presently operating from the site is Advanced Promotional Concepts, Inc., who renovated the building and helped erect the historical marker.

The Morgan Cigar Factory building is a Contributing Structure within the West Tampa Historic District (a National Historic District).
 
Morgan Cigar Factory image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, September 16, 2011
3. Morgan Cigar Factory
Morgan Cigar Factory image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, September 9, 2011
4. Morgan Cigar Factory
Berriman-Morgan Cigar Factory image. Click for full size.
Photographed By AGS Media, September 5, 2011
5. Berriman-Morgan Cigar Factory
      In 1910, after outgrowing their three year-old factory, Morgan Cigar Co. moved to this building, originally built for the Berriman Bros. Cigar Co. in 1903. Morgan enlarged the facility in 1914.
      Today, the building is home to Argosy University. Like the 1907 Morgan factory, this building is recognized by the National Register of Historic Places as a Contributing Structure within the West Tampa Historic District.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,374 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 17, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47247

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024