Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Venice in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926

 
 
Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 20, 2011
1. Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926 Marker
Inscription.  William D. Schoolcraft and C. Paul Johnson, principals of Johnson-Schoolcraft, Inc., were the original owners of the Johnson-Schoolcraft Building, constructed in 1926. Mayor Ned Worthington led the dedication ceremony. Music was provided by Antonio Lopez and his Orange Grove Orchestra.
The two story building was constructed of hollow clay tiles with stucco exterior at an estimated cost of $45,000.00. The building was designed for five apartments on the second floor. The apartments were leased before the building was completed because of the limited housing market. The original tenant of the first floor retail space was Venice Pharmacy, Inc. The space featured a pink onyx soda fountain and solid mahogany store features finished in black walnut.
By 1928, the Peninsula Telephone Company operated its switchboard from a rear store front. In an emergency residents contacted the switchboard operator who activated a red signal light on the roof of the building. This alerted the Venice police to contact the operator.
The Venice Company became owners of the building in 1978. Its exterior is essentially unchanged from its 1926 appearance.
Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 20, 2011
2. Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926 Marker
View of the historical marker, affixed to an outside wall, next to an entrance into the featured building.
Click or scan to see
this page online
The Johnson-Schoolcraft Building is on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 2003 by Venice Area Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1926.
 
Location. 27° 5.971′ N, 82° 26.734′ W. Marker is in Venice, Florida, in Sarasota County. Marker is on Nokomis Avenue South south of West Venice Avenue, on the right when traveling south. This historical marker is affixed to the outside wall of the building, which is located in the downtown business district. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Venice FL 34285, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ennes Arcade and Hotel Valencia 1926 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Supreme Sacrifice (about 400 feet away); Kentucky Military Institute (about 500 feet away); San Marco Hotel (about 500 feet away); Venice (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Kentucky Military Institute (about 700 feet away); The Hotel Venice (about 800 feet away); Fred Albee Municipal Airport (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Venice.
 
Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 20, 2011
3. Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926 Marker
A more distant view of the historical marker affixed to the outside wall of the featured building.
Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 20, 2011
4. Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926 Marker
View from across the street, looking west, of the featured building.
Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 20, 2011
5. Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926 Marker
View looking west along Venice Avenue of the featured building.
Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, June 20, 2011
6. Johnson-Schoolcraft Building 1926 Marker
View looking south along Nokomis Avenue South of the featured building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 17, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 490 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 17, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47281

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 18, 2022