Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Freedom in Beaver County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Vicary House

 
 
Vicary House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, September 18, 2011
1. Vicary House Marker
Inscription.  This three story mansion was built by Captain William B. Vicary. He was a Philadelphia Sea Captain who captured four British ships in the War of 1812. As a reward for war service the United States Government gave Vicary a land grant of 1,000 acres extending from Dutchman's Run to Crows Run along the Ohio River. Work on this mansion began in 1826 and was completed seven years later. It was constructed of massive dressed stone blocks quarried on the edge of the property and dragged by horse-drawn sledges to the building site. Earthen ramps were built so the huge stones could be shifted into place by the workers who received 25 cents a day plus dinner. It is an illustration of the local architecture of Western Pennsylvania.
 
Erected by Beaver County Historical Research and Landmarks Foundation.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania - Beaver County Historical Research and Landmarks Foundation series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
 
Location. 40° 40.908′ N, 80° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
15.026′ W. Marker is in Freedom, Pennsylvania, in Beaver County. Marker is at the intersection of Harvey Run Road and 3rd Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Harvey Run Road. This is the Beaver County Historical Research and Landmarks Foundation location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Freedom PA 15042, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trinity Evangelical Lutheran (approx. 0.2 miles away); Freedom Boat Yards (approx. ¼ mile away); Conway Railroad Yards (approx. 1.7 miles away); Saint Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Water Cure Sanitorium (approx. 2 miles away); Site of Thiel College (approx. 2 miles away); New Philadelphia Society (approx. 2 miles away); The Michael Camp House (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Freedom.
 
Also see . . .  Beaver County Historical Research and Landmarks Foundation. Ironically located at the William Vicary House 1235 Third Avenue Freedom, PA 15042 (Submitted on September 19, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) 
 
Vicary House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, September 18, 2011
2. Vicary House Marker
Vicary House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, September 18, 2011
3. Vicary House
Vicary House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, December 3, 2011
4. Vicary House
Inside one of the many rooms
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 946 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 19, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   4. submitted on December 7, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47395

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024