Lot No. 6 sold for $111 to Reuben Rogers who built a dwelling. Known as an I-House or Piedmont Plain, this type of structure was particularly popular in the Upland South and often built by well established farmers and townsfolk. The Rogers House (c.1810) is significant as the last remaining residence from the period of the town’s original founding on its original lot.
Opened for tourism in 1992 and later joined by the Rose Cottage (1893), the house serves as an excellent example of community cooperation: property ownership by Morgan County; leadership and funding for restoration, furnishings, and operation by the City; and management of the museum complex provided by the Morgan County Historical Society.
Erected 2011 by City of Madison, Madison
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 35.717′ N, 83° 27.967′ W. Marker is in Madison, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on East Jefferson Street 0 miles east of Hancock Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 179 East Jefferson Street, Madison GA 30650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morgan County (within shouting distance of this marker); Oliver Hardy, Genius of Comedy (within shouting distance of this marker); In Memory of the Boys from Morgan County, Georgia (within shouting distance of this marker); William Tappan Thompson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Civic Advancement (about 300 feet away); Banking Institutions (about 400 feet away); The Town Square (about 400 feet away); Lodging Establishments (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 22, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 22, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.