Pine Hill in Wilcox County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Pine Hill, Alabama
Incorporated December 2, 1895
This area was Choctaw Indian country before the arrival of settlers moving south and west in this new nation. The first settlement, known as Arnold, was located one mile north of the present town center. Mr. Charley A. Sheldon from Massachusetts, scouting for timber, described the area as that “pine hill;” thus the first post office was given the name Pine Hill when established in 1839. The arrival of the railroad in 1888 was the catalyst that brought Pine Hill to its present location. Many of the original settlers came from North and South Carolina. Among early families were Arnold, Brewer, Evans, Fuller, Gorman, Hall, Hare, Jordan, Lindsey, Mayton, Morgan, Shamburger, Sheffield, and Small. There were other settlements in the area that contributed to the population of Pine Hill, namely Yellow Bluff, Bethel and Enon.
(Continued on other side)
Important Events In The History of Pine Hill
(Continued from other side)
1839 Post office established
1856 Dr. J. A. Thompson becomes first doctor
1888 Birmingham & Mobile Railroad established
1894 First church building, Pine Hill Baptist Church begins
1895 Town of Pine Hill incorporated and Clay Sheffield Bank established
1903 Vredenburgh Saw Mill Company begins operating
1911 Alabama & Northwestern Railroad established
1925 First telephone system established
1927 Electrical service begins
1946 Bank of Pine Hill chartered
1951 Municipal water system built
1952 Volunteer Fire Department begins
1966 MacMillan-Bloedel Wood Products Complex established and municipal airport built
1967 Natural gas distribution system begins
1970 Surface water treatment plant and sewerage system established
1981 Pine Hill purchases municipal park and museum property
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the Town of Pine Hill.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 31° 58.77′ N, 87° 35.258′ W. Marker is in Pine Hill, Alabama, in Wilcox County. Marker is on Broad Street (State Highway 5) west of Oak Grove Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pine Hill AL 36769, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Airmount Grave Shelter And Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Williams’ Temple CME Church (approx. 9.8 miles away); Thomasville's Early History (approx. 9.8 miles away); Thomasville War Memorial (approx. 9.9 miles away); Office of Joel Desaker Jones (approx. 13.1 miles away); Shiloh Baptist Church (approx. 13.4 miles away); Postal Routes of 1820 (approx. 14 miles away); Prairie Mission (approx. 14˝ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,098 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on September 26, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.