Concord Presbyterian Church
This church, organized in 1808 by Rev. George G. McWhorter of the Salem Black River Presbyterian Church, held its first services in a brush arbor near Concord Springs. The next year Gen. Thomas Sumter donated two acres to the Concord Society to build a “Meeting House,” which was built soon afterwards.
Concord is the mother church of First Presbyterian Church of Sumter (1823). In 1832 noted college president and theologian James Henley Thornwell (1812-1862) professed his faith during a service here, while he was teaching at an academy in Sumter. The present Greek Revival sanctuary was built in 1841.
Erected 2010 by The Congregation. (Marker Number 43-44.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1808.
Location. 33° 54.572′ N, 80° 13.381′ W. Marker is in Sumter, South Carolina, in Sumter County. Marker is at the intersection of E Brewington Road and Concord Church Road, on the right when traveling east on
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Paul African American Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Salem (Black River) Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Beulah School (approx. 3.9 miles away); Goodwill Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. (approx. 4.2 miles away); " Ebenezer " (approx. 4.2 miles away); Goodwill School (approx. 4.2 miles away); Birthplace of Mary McLeod Bethune (approx. 5 miles away); The Mayesville Story (approx. 5.4 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 823 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 28, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.