Fort Mill in York County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This house was built ca. 1806 for planter John Springs III (1782-1853), who served in the S.C. House 1828-34 and was a partner in several banks, railroads, and textile mills before the Civil War. His son Andrew Baxter Springs (1819-1886) enlarged and remodeled this house in the 1850s. He served in the S.C. House 1852-56 and was also a delegate to the Secession Convention.
On April 26, 1865, Confederate President Jefferson Davis and his Cabinet, making their way south from Richmond, Va., stopped here. Davis and part of his party spent the night here at the insistence of young ladies who greeted them with flowers. Springfield, listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1985, has been headquarters of Leroy Springs & Company since 1987.
Erected 2010 by Leroy Springs and Company, Inc. (Marker Number 46-45.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 35° 2.879′ N, 80° 55.624′ W. Marker is Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Mill SC 29715, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Jefferson Davis's Flight South, April 26-27, 1865 (approx. 2.6 miles away); World War I Memorial (approx. 2.7 miles away); Unity Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.9 miles away); North Carolina / South Carolina (approx. 2.9 miles away in North Carolina); Catawba Indian Reservation (approx. 2.9 miles away in North Carolina); Catawba Indian Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); Fort Mill Confederate Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); To the Faithful Slaves (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Mill.
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. (Submitted on September 28, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 28, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,050 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 28, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.