Monroeville in Monroe County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
A County Older Than The State
Created in 1815 by proclamation of Governor of Mississippi Territory from lands ceded by Creek Indians in Treaty of Ft. Jackson, 1814.
Named for President James Monroe, fifth President of U.S.., 1817-25, who purchased Florida from Spain, proclaimed the "Monroe Doctrine."
First county seat at Ft. Claiborne, 1815-32.
Gen. F. L. Claiborne built fort in 1813 as base of operations against Creek Indians.
In 1832 County seat moved to Monroeville, earlier called Walker's Mill for first white settler.
(See other side for earlier history)
Throughout colonial times this area was claimed as part of
Florida --- By Spain 1519-1700
Louisiana --- by France 1700-1763
West Florida --- By England 1763-1780
West Florida --- By Spain 1780-1795
Spain ceded area to U.S. in 1795; in turn it was then part of
Mississippi Territory 1798-1817
Alabama Territory 1817-1819
State of Alabama Since 1819
Erected 1958 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Alabama Historical Association, and the Former U.S. Presidents: #05 James Monroe series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1815.
Location. 31° 31.655′ N, 87° 19.451′ W. Marker is in Monroeville, Alabama, in Monroe County. Marker is on North Alabama Avenue (State Road 21), on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31 North Alabama Avenue, Monroeville AL 36460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Monroe County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Atticus Finch: Lawyer - Hero (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Monroeville, Alabama (about 400 feet away); “Lucas’ Raiders” (about 500 feet away); Truman Capote (approx. ¼ mile away); Peterman, Alabama (approx. 5½ miles away); Old Federal Road (approx. 7.7 miles away); Puryearville (approx. 7.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroeville.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand
Also see . . . Monroe County. Encyclopedia of Alabama entry (Submitted on October 2, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 29, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 908 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 29, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 2, 2011, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.