Chicago in Cook County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Chicago & North Western Railway Powerhouse
Foster & Granger, architects
— 1909-1911 —
The Powerhouse is the best-surviving building associated with the Chicago and North Western Railway, one of the city’s most prominent historic railroads. While a utilitarian building, this grandly-scaled example of the Beaux-Arts architectural style is noteworthy for its giant round-arched windows and fine cream-colored brick walls laid to resemble rusticated stone. The powerhouse provided electricity and steam heat to the original terminal (demolished), standing passenger cars, and other nearby railroad facilities for over 50 years.
Designated on January 11, 2006
Richard M. Daley, Mayor
Erected 2006 by Commission on Chicago Landmarks.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Illinois, Chicago Landmarks Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1837.
Location. 41° 53.169′ N, 87° 38.467′ W. Marker is in Chicago, Illinois, in Cook County. Marker is on North Clinton Street north of West Lake StreetTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 211 North Clinton Street, Chicago IL 60661, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Haymarket Tragedy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wacker Drive (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Sauganash Hotel/Wigwam (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lincoln's Nomination Site (approx. ¼ mile away); Sauganash Hotel - Chicago - 1831 (approx. ¼ mile away); Lake-Franklin Group (approx. 0.3 miles away); Trustees System Service Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chicago.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 30, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 764 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 30, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.