Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Gaines in Clay County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Clay County

 
 
Clay County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
1. Clay County Marker
Inscription.  This County created by Act of the Legislature Feb. 16, 1854, is named for Henry Clay, famous statesman who died in 1852. Near Fort Gaines, the County Site, stood the actual Fort built in 1816 for defense in the Creek Indian Wars and named for Gen. Edmond P. Gaines who ordered its construction. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff George R. Holloway, Clerk of the Superior & Inferior Courts Warren Sutton, Ordinary John H. Jones, Tax Receiver John H. Gilbert, Tax Collector Peter Lee, County Surveyor Bennett H. Thornton and Coroner Churchill Patrick.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 030-1.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Political Subdivisions. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 16, 1906.
 
Location. 31° 36.25′ N, 85° 2.924′ W. Marker is in Fort Gaines, Georgia, in Clay County. Marker is on Washington Street S (Route 39) 0 miles north of Hartford Road (Georgia Route 37), on the right when traveling
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
north. The marker stands at the driveway to the Clay County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 210 Washington St S, Fort Gaines GA 39851, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gen. Edmund Pendleton Gaines (here, next to this marker); Clay County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Queen City of the Chattahoochee (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Gaines Guards (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Sites (about 700 feet away); Old Pioneer Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the First Clay County Courthouse and Jail (approx. ¼ mile away); Fort Gaines (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Gaines.
 
Clay County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
2. Clay County Marker
Clay County Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 14, 2011
3. Clay County Marker
The marker, left, with the Clay County Courthouse in the background.
Henry Clay image. Click for full size.
Library of Congress
4. Henry Clay
Photo by Frederick De Bourg Richards, between 1845 and 1852
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 1, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 742 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 1, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   4. submitted on December 29, 2020, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=47761

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024